Thursday, February 18, 2010

A little black spot on the sun today...

So, for those of you who don't know, Vivi is a partially breast fed baby.  This of course means I have to pump everyday at work.  3 times a day, for 15 minutes each time, back in what used to be the shower of our employee bathroom.

It gets very boring.

So I bring a book.  Recently, I grabbed one of my favorite feminist diatribes from college, thinking "Oh, I haven't read this in awhile."  Huge mistake.

For the past week, I have been turning the pages, brow increasingly furrowed as I am reminded how hard it is to be a girl.  THis book is about growing up female with the mass media, and how there are constant contredictions as to how a girl should act, think, and what roles she should play.  

OH MY GOD I HAVE A DAUGHTER.  

It doesn't really hit you until you stop and think about it.  I already want to corral everyone who will ever hurt her feelings, or make her feel inadequate, or whatever, and threaten them with a sharp object.  Now am I also supposed to fight Disney and it's terrible gender type-casting?  Should I be reading her Backlash instead of Harry Potter before we go to bed at night?

This is so exhausting.  I love her so much, but I want Vivi to love Vivi as much as I do.  

And yes, Internet, I am PMSing.  Shut it.


No comments:

Post a Comment