Thursday, September 6, 2012

Zoo. Omaha Style.

Grandma and Grandpa Otto came to visit last month!  To celebrate, we decided to take Vivi to the Omaha Zoo for the first time.  We were on the road by 8:30.  This is how Vivi and I felt about getting up and flying around on a Saturday:
 (I'm pretty sure Grandpa doesn't mind getting up.  I think he was just playing along.)

Of course, our child found the only dinosaur related thing in the ENTIRE ZOO within 5 minutes of entering the place.  It took quite a bit of time to convince her to move away from the fossil dig.  Never mind that there was an entire zoo (9 acres!) full of never-seen before animals waiting.  We found fossils, people!

Finally, we convinced her to move on by promising to see bears.
 For some reason, none of us really look like we are certain that we really want to see them.  Perhaps you had to be there to feel the excitement.  It was tangible, I promise.

The zoo involves a lot of walking, and for a mom with a bum ankle, a grandma about to have knee replacement surgery, and a three year old, it was a challenge.  So, we decided to ride Skyfari, a sky tram that floats you from one end of the zoo to the other, blisfully able to stare down at the animals below you.

It was bloody terrifying.  I was unprepared for this.  You dangle, helpless, above all KINDS of things.  Water.  Cement.  Leopards that would doubtlessly devour you if the Skyfari chain broke.  Who in the name of Mike thought this was a good idea?  I sat white-knuckled the entire (very long) ride.

Vivi, of course, loved it.

I tried to get a family photo on Skyfari, hoping to distract myself from my terror.
Of course, no.  Just...no.

The highlight for Vivi was the aquarium.  She was strangely intent on seeing a sea turtle.  It really was awesome to see her amazement.
"Mommy!  Sharks are swimming on top of our heads!"

She was fascinated.  And there were sharks AND sea turtles.
I loved it.  I can't wait to go back.  And to ride the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment