Sunday, December 12, 2010

Breakfast with Satan...er, I mean Santa.

So, every year the Haymarket Development Council puts on a fundraiser called "Breakfast with Santa."  The event is pretty much what the name suggests.  We have never been, but this year my company sponsored the breakfast, as we are located in said Haymarket.  Russ and I figured what the heck, and Kate and Noah were game, so off to the breakfast we went, despite the fact that it was 10 DEGREES OUTSIDE.  I should have taken this as a sign.

The breakfast itself was delicious, and went well.  We figured perhaps we were in for a great, fun morning!  Here I am with Noah, enjoying French Toast.
Why the face?  Well, folks, I'll let you in on a little secret.  I do not care for people in costume.  I was the kid who would possibly have forfeited her Christmas gifts just so I did not have to sit on Santa's lap at the mall.  Mascots and people in costume in general freak the heck out of me.  CREEPY.  And I was very afraid we would run into the same problem with Vivi.  But.  We were determined to give it the old college try!
And actually, things went really well.  We stood in line to see the Big Man, and she could see him.  She and Russ discussed Santa in happy terms, going over the fact that we like him, and he does in fact say "Ho ho ho."

Then it was our turn and Russ set Vivi on Santa's lap.

She took one look at the man in red, opened her mouth, and you could just see the scream building (the camera woman actually said "I don't think she's breathing!").  And then...Vivi unleashed.

Oh dear.  So, after she calmed down, we took a nice photo of all three of us kneeling in front of poor, tortured Santa.
...in which Vivi still looks traumatized.  It reminds me of the photo from my 5th birthday party, where Billy Bob the Bear (that's right, back when it was Showbiz, before the evil and scary Chuckie Cheese took over. hey marketing department--if you are in the food service business, your mascot should NEVER be a giant rat. wise up).  Billy Bob is hugging me for my "birthday photo," and I am clearly trying to shove his arms away from me.  Vivi, this is just a part of Christmas, so you may have to get used to it.  But I promise, I'll never make you hug a weirdo in a costume that's been in use since 1974.  Mommy loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment